RE: SDL-News: about the time type in SDL

Subject: RE: SDL-News: about the time type in SDL
michael.andersson#telelogic.com
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 12:02:42 GMT

-----From michael.andersson#telelogic.com to sdlnews -----

Hi Yang,

If you are using the Discrete Time Simulator, then you are correct, now will
return a time value calculated by executed timer timeouts in the execution
so far (and not according to some clock value).

However, if you are using the Realtime Simulator or an Application, then now
will return a value obtained from a clock function. This clock function
might be implemented slightly different depending on your platform (Windows,
Solaris, HP, target RTOS etc.), but it can also be controlled by the user so
that you can provide your own implementation (time unit, granularity etc.)
of this clock function. Please see the user documentation for more info on
this.

Simulated time is highly valueable in certain kinds of simulation, when you
focus on the behaviour of the system regardless of normal linear time (for
example, to simulate the solar system orbits would be quite tedious with a
real-time clock).

best regards
Michael

----------
Telelogic Tau Generation 2 - Development Visualized. Productivity Realized.
Learn more about Telelogic's new software development solution at
http://www.taug2.com

Michael Andersson <mailto:michael.andersson#telelogic.com>
Field Application Engineer Phone: +46 40 17 47 00
Telelogic Direct: +46 40 17 47 65
P.O. Box 4128 Mobile: +46 705 17 47 65
SE 203 12 MALMO Fax: +46 40 17 47 47
Sweden <http://www.telelogic.com>

Telelogic - Automating the development lifecycle

--End text from michael.andersson#telelogic.com to sdlnews ---
For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>