Re: SDL-News: connections

Subject: Re: SDL-News: connections
From: Rick Reed TSE (rickreed#tseng.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 13:25:25 GMT

-----From Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----

At 13:10 +0100 14/7/99, Nikolai Mansurov wrote:
>- output to process-identifier
> -- if there are any process instances of the destination process, then
>the signal instance is delivered to one of them (randomly);
> -- otherwise the signal instance is lost

A path must also exist in this case. Note that if explicit paths are
omitted (which I personally discourage) then there are implicit paths.

>> Can a signal be sent "back", i.e. if it arrived from one of internal
>> channels, are internal channels considered among possible routes?
>>

>No. Each connection is traversed only in one direction: either from inside
>out, or from outside in.

But there is an exception if the sending process definition can also
receive the signal. In this case any of the instances of this process may
receive the signal, because there is an implicit path back to the process
instance set. A VIA or TO can prevent this.

Rick <rickreed#tseng.co.uk>
Tel:+44 1455 559655 Fax:+44 1455 559658 Mob:+44 7970 509650

-----End text from Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----
Join http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm for extra SDL Forum Society benefits
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org