Re: SDL-News: Sdl-Documention

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Sdl-Documention
rickreed#tseng.co.uk
Date: Sun Jun 15 1997 - 22:24:54 GMT

-----From Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----

At 17:40 +0100 12/06/97, Edward E Averill wrote:

>I want to react to Steffen Weiss' request by broadening it, a bit.

>I am quite willing to pay a reasonable fee for access, but I want good

>HTML or PDF access to Z100, with good indexing. Nowdays a book is

>a poor substitute for online documentation. So, you guys that can
>influence the ITU -- try to talk them into selling access published on
>CDROMs we software people can use.

I am now the SDL rapporteur for the 1996-2000 period, and I am listening.

This is an excellent idea, and we should see what can be done. I foresee a
number of difficult issues (copyright, finance, resources etc.), but I
support the objective.

One step in the right direction is that individual Recommendations can be
purchased in machine readable form (Word for Windows 2.0) from ITU-T, paid
for by credit card and downloaded over the Internet. The address to

purchase Z.100 is:
http://www.itu.ch/itudoc/itu-t/rec/z/z100_23858.html

The price is 75 SFr. It is not the case that you have to purchase "every
standard and recomendation you need to build a switch for public telephone
networks" (Kjeld Flarup Christensen) though you can also do this if you
wish (see the ITU WWW pages).

Another step is liaison between the SDL Forum Society and ITU-T. The SDL
Forum Society is now recognised by ITU-T as a body that can contribute to
the future development of SDL. It is the intention of the SDL expert's
group that I chair (Q.6/10) - with the support of the SG10 plenary - that
SDL experts meetings can be co-ordinated meetings with SDL Forum Society
members. The next meeting is planned for week 42 this year, but there is
also a work-shop on SDL-2000 at the SDL 97 Forum. Aditionally I am
considering an electronic "meeting" some time in August. Of course, to have
the right to participate you will need to join the Society - but when you
check the Forum prices this should not be a difficult decision. However,
plase feel free to use SDL News for suggestions and discussions.

Perhaps if we provide ITU-T with an updated version of Z.100 that is still
Word compatible, but also contains links to navigate around, they would be
prepared to make that available also. Who is prepared to contribute effort
towards this?

--
Rick Reed, TSE Limited
13 Weston House, 18-22 Church Street

-----End text from Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews ----- For help, email "majordomo#sdl-forum.org" with the body of your email as:

help or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org