SDL-News: Possible conflict is only a potential problem

Subject: SDL-News: Possible conflict is only a potential problem
From: William H. Skelton (W.Skelton#SOLINET.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 23:54:27 GMT

-----From "William H. Skelton" <W.Skelton#SOLINET.com> to sdlnews -----

Dear Rick,

Thank you for your detailed explanation, but the point is a very short
one. As the SDL-Forum is a registered, non-commercial society, we should
be careful to clearly define the roles and targets, if you are representing
a commercial company on a trip funded by the SDL-Forum.

Equally we should be careful that a commercial company, such as TSE, does
not give the impression it may be using the task force results towards the
ITU-T or other organisations, which you decline to mention.

These are only potential problems; perhaps to close the subject you could
briefly confirm neither of them apply.

Just for reference, the SDL Task Force does consider itself autonomous, but
aligned with the SDL-Forum. It does not use any email or Internet
facilities of the SDL-Forum and even if the groups were linked, it does not
explain why a derived document bearing a TSE copyright notice and deleted
references to the SDL Task Force is in circulation.

These are exactly the kinds of thing we should be careful to avoid.

William

>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:06:13 +0000
>Subject: [SDLTF-Members] ITU-T Possible Conflict; Data & ITU-T Synchronization
>From: Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk>
>To: <members#sdl-task-force.org>
>CC: <sdlnews#sdl-forum.org>
>Sender: members-owner#sdl-task-force.org
>

>William H. Skelton at W.Skelton#SOLINET.com wrote on 11/03/04 08:13:
>
> > Dear Rick,
> >
> > Thank you for the detailed explanation of your ITU-T activities. To avoid
> > a possible conflict of interests we should clarify how you will be
> > representing 4 organisations at the ITU-T meetings next week.
> >
> > Acting as a rapporteur, as a representative of the SDL Forum, as Head of
> > Delegation for the UK and as an interested expert from TSE is a mix of
> > activities without clear boundaries. The SDL-Forum, a registered society,
> > is providing funding, but a commercial company, TSE Ltd, is involved.
> >
> > Your email of 9th March shows TSE has prepared documentation on the
> > SDL-subset claiming its own copyright using information from the task
> > force. To avoid confusion, TSE should avoid the appearance that it could
> > be exploiting the task force work commercially.
> >
> > The SDL Task Force is a separate organisation and does not belong to the
> > SDL-Forum. We feel you, as Chairman of the SDL-Forum, should not present
> > the result of the task force work to the ITU-T, even before the task force
> > has reported to the SDL-Forum.
> >
> > The ITU-T invitation for the task force to attend the Geneva meetings is an
> > important opportunity to promote SDL and is a benefit to the
> > SDL-Forum. Looking forwards to your comments and your support...
>
>Dear William,
>
>ITU roles
>---------
>
>There is nothing unusual in a participant in ITU-T having several roles - in
>fact it is usually the case.
>
>Any participant who has a role as a chairman is usually also a rapporteur
>for the ITU-T work.
>
>Any chairman or rapporteur has responsibilities defined by the ITU
>procedures document, but will also be representing some organisation and
>should declare an specific conflict of interest should it arise. The
>organisation interest can be stated, but it should not unduly influence the
>results of the chairman or rapporteur work. Of course, one reason why
>organisations like their people in these roles is to make sure that their
>views are taken into account.
>
>The same situation arises for a head of delegation, who normally also
>represents an organisation within his nation and must make it clear (if the
>organisation and national views differ) which view is being presented at any
>given time. Typically the national UK representative is from BT, and may
>have to declare the BT and the national view and these may be different.
>This is one reason why it is best to have written contributions, because it
>should then be clear what role is being taken.

> [...]

William H. Skelton, Engineering Dept.
SOLINET GmbH Solutions for Innovative Networks
Mittlerer Pfad 26, 70499 Stuttgart, Germany
Tel +49 711 1398 1377, Fax +49 711 866 1240
Mobile +49 171 247 6688
W.Skelton#SOLINET.com, www.SOLINET.com

--End text from "William H. Skelton" <W.Skelton#SOLINET.com> to sdlnews ---
For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>