Re: SDL-News: Saving all signals except a few, optimization

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Saving all signals except a few, optimization
From: Rick Reed TSE (rickreed#tseng.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 14:19:47 GMT

-----From Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----

Y. Giridhar Appaji Nag at yganag#yahoo.com wrote on 03/03/2001 14:24:

> Is there anyway we can save all the signals except one when we are
> in a particular state. I mean, is there some shortcut like the one
> for states wherein *(S1, S2) denotes all but states S1 and S2.

Yes there is:

In SDL-92, SDL-96 and SDL-2000 a save symbol that contains asterisk denotes
all (explicit) signals EXCEPT THOSE IN OTHER INPUT LISTS OR SAVE LISTS OF
THE STATE.

Attach to the state symbol an input symbol for the signals NOT to be saved
and a save symbol containing the asterisk. The input symbol must be followed
by a transition. If the intention is consume the signal if it arrives and go
back to the same state, the input symbol is joined to a state symbol that
denotes the same state. This can be a dash nextstate (very useful if the
state symbol denotes more than one state). If the state symbol contained one
state name, the input can be joined back to the same symbol.

Of course, the transition does not have to be empty and does not have to
lead back to the same state.

The answer given by Nicolas.Peransin#telelogic.com on 05/03/2001 at 09:27
was incorrect. Nicolas Peransin also seems to have misunderstood the second
part of the question which was about how to write SDL to avoid a code
explosion when generating "target" code such as C or C++. I regret that I am
unable to answer this one, but would be interested to see references (that
is "pointers") to some answers. I am surprised that there are none in the
Telelogic documentation.

--
Rick Reed - rickreed#tseng.co.uk
Tel:+44 1455 55 96 55 Fax:+44 1455 55 96 58 Mob.:+44 7970 50 96 50

--End text from Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews --- For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>