Re: SDL-News: Two SDL systems on the same target platform

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Two SDL systems on the same target platform
From: Richard Sanders (richard.sanders#informatics.sintef.no)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 13:17:37 GMT

-----From Richard Sanders <richard.sanders#informatics.sintef.no> to sdlnews -----

<http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>
>The originator of this message is responsible for its content.
>-----From Monear Jalal <monear_j#yahoo.com> to sdlnews -----
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm embarking on a new problem that raised the
>issue whether it is possible to have two SDL
>systems running on the same application and
>target platform

This should be possible, given that you be careful about the interface
between the two systems: if they communicate with each other via SDL
signals (i.e. they are included in each other's SDL environment), then you
must be careful that the code generation involved for each system uses the
same implementation of the signal identities (e.g. mapping from SDL signal
name to an enumerated integer in the programming language).

If you use a tool to generate the code, check the documentation for how the
signals are implemented, and see if signal numbering can be controlled some
way, so that signals with the same name are given the same number in the
two systems, regardless of what signals exist in each system. The solution
may involve careful design of the respective "environment processes" (which
are normally supported by the tools for communication to and from the
environment), or that the "environment" signals are defined "first" (as
seen by the tool; SDL has no definition of what is defined first and last).
Richard T. Sanders http://www.informatics.sintef.no/~sanders/
SINTEF Telecom and Informatics Telephone: (+47) 73 59 30 06
N-7465 Trondheim, Norway *New* Telefax: (+47) 73 59 43 02
*New* Office location: S.P. Andersens vei 15B ("PTS 2") Room 313
Home: Aasbakken 1, N-7043 Trondheim Telephone: (+47) 73 52 06 71

-----End text from Richard Sanders <richard.sanders#informatics.sintef.no> to sdlnews -----
For extra SDL Forum Society benefits, join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>