SDL-News: On implementations

Subject: SDL-News: On implementations
From: Flávio J. Moritz Jr. (flavio.moritz#digitro.com.br)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 20:14:22 GMT

-----From "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fl=E1vio_J._Moritz_Jr.?=" <flavio.moritz#digitro.com.br> to sdlnews -----

Hi,

I've been lurking on this list for a while now and haven't seen any
discussion on SDL tools.
Well, I not actually interested in talking about the tool itself, but rather
how people use these tools.
Let me give you an example.
I use Telelogic's tools (TAU) to design telecom applications.
It's (Telelogic's) C code generator implements the application.
Those applications are compiled and run on UNIX boxes.
Whenever I need to access a database server, I use interprocess
communications protocols to send messages to another UNIX process which in
turn uses the database API.
Just because I don't want my "SDL" app to block on a function call while
waiting for the database server.
So, I was wondering. How does anybody else do the same thing ?
How about shrinking this "middleware" into a thread ?
Wouldn't it be better ?
Can you see the kind of conversations I would like to have ?
Is this an appropriate forum for this ?
Can I start this kind of discussions here?
Does anybody knows a better forum for this?
Any mailing lists or newsgroups ?

Please, don't take me wrong. I find people here very helpful. I just don't
want to bother you with things that aren't of your interest.

[]'s Flávio Moritz

"The chase is better than the catch."

-----End text from "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fl=E1vio_J._Moritz_Jr.?=" <flavio.moritz#digitro.com.br> to sdlnews -----
Join http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm for extra SDL Forum Society benefits
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org