Re: SDL-News: SAVE: Request for additional feedback

Subject: Re: SDL-News: SAVE: Request for additional feedback
From: Rick Reed TSE (rickreed#tseng.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 15:50:40 GMT

-----From Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews -----

William H. Skelton at W.Skelton#SOLINET.com wrote on 01/08/04 13:04:

> A problem has been identified that there is no atomic way to flush signals
> that have been saved. For example, if a signal E1 is saved, then E2 arrives
> causes a reset of the state machine, then another E1 arrives, there is no way
> to flush at the time of the reset the saved E1 without losing the new E1.

Even without SAVE it is not clear how this can be achieved. If we assume
that the each E1 is buffered internally, when E2 is received the buffer
could be cleared as part of the reset. If when E2 is received there was an
E1 in the input queue, this would have arrived BEFORE the reset, but would
NOT be in the internal buffer and would NOT be cleared. Discarding the E1
after the reset would also mean that any E1 signals arriving after the reset
would also be discarded.

--
Rick Reed - rickreed#tseng.co.uk
Tel:+44 15394 88462 Mob.:+44 7970 50 96 50

--End text from Rick Reed TSE <rickreed#tseng.co.uk> to sdlnews --- For extra SDL Forum Society benefits join at <http://www.sdl-forum.org/Society/members.htm>