SDL-News: Restructuring SDL for readability

Subject: SDL-News: Restructuring SDL for readability
From: Oystein Haugen (oystein.haugen#ericsson.no)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 10:42:09 GMT

-----From Oystein Haugen <oystein.haugen#ericsson.no> to sdlnews -----

SDL friends

I would like to draw your attention to a recent Master Thesis from the
Institute of Informatics at University of Oslo made by Ole Dahle.
His subject is program maintenance in general, and in particular he has
done some work on restructuring SDL descriptions to improve readability.
I believe you will find the thesis interesting and possibly would like
to experiment with the software (Perl scripts) that he has developed.

The Thesis can be found at his private web-site:
http://www.dahle.no/thesis/

Oystein Haugen
supervisor of the thesis

--
dr. Oystein Haugen, Ericsson NorARC

Here is the Abstract: This thesis shows how to use techniques and theory from program transformation to improve readability of SDL (Specification and Descrip tion Language) diagrams. An introduction to software reengineering in general and restructuring and transformation in particular is provided to establish the relationship between transformation and pretty printing. I then introduce a set of rules for readable SDL. To demonstrate the appli cability of these rules, I have created a prototype program that enforces the rules. A real world example, from a project in Ericsson, is fed through the program and the results are evaluated.

-----End text from Oystein Haugen <oystein.haugen#ericsson.no> to sdlnews ----- For help, email "majordomo#sdl-forum.org" with the body of your email as: help or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org