Re: SDL-News: Pure virtuality in SDL

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Pure virtuality in SDL
From: Dagbjorn Nogva (Dagbjorn.Nogva#ericsson.no)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 06:05:23 GMT

-----From Dagbjorn Nogva <Dagbjorn.Nogva#ericsson.no> to sdlnews -----

Dear Fabrice,

No, purely virtual types are not provided by the current '96 version of
SDL.

Incidentally, I know that there has been submitted a proposal for such
a language construct to the Q6/SG10 study group meeting in Heidelberg
this week. The construct is called 'abstract types' and if we are lucky we
might see it in SDL-2000. The proposed abstract types in SDL
corresponds to abstract classes found in UML and Java.

Regards
Dagbjorn Nogva <dagbjorn#telox.no>
Telox AS

DUBOIS Fabrice CNET/DTL/LAN wrote:

> Dear SDL users,
>
> Does the language provide a mechanism to declare a virtual object
> (structure type, transition, procedure, etc.) as PURILY virtual ?
> The aim is, just as in C++ for example, to FORCE the users of my
> specification to redefine the object.
> In addition, this would prevent users from instantiating a block-type
> which is not supposed to be instanciated.
>
> Regards,
> Fabrice Dubois.

-----End text from Dagbjorn Nogva <Dagbjorn.Nogva#ericsson.no> to sdlnews -----
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org