SDL-News: Broadcast

Subject: SDL-News: Broadcast
tariq#erg.abdn.ac.uk
Date: Mon Aug 03 1998 - 08:19:44 GMT

-----From tariq#erg.abdn.ac.uk to sdlnews -----

Dear Anders,

Many thanks for very detailed and useful response. Since SDL is used to describe
the coomunication systems and protocols I had assumed there must be a mechanism
by which it is possible to broadcast a message. There are number of situations
in which it is desirable to broadcast a message to all the process in the system.

For example the protocols we are develpoing in Aberdeen require a message to be
transmitted to all the process and a process makes a decision either message is
addressed to it or not. I belive it is very similar to a packet which transmitted
over the internet and each reciver makes a decision wheather the packet is addressed
to it or not. If packet is addressed to it, the reciver accept a packet and if not
it ignores it.

There are number of other situation where similar behaviour is desirable.

I can imagne that one could device a process in sdl system whose job would be to
transmit a signal in round-robin fashion to all the process in a block. But
a neater solution would be to have a broadcasting mechanism. I do hope
in future the broadcasting machnism is intorduced into SDL!!!!!

Once again many thanks for your and every body's answers.
TARIQ