Re: SDL-News: Exported Variables

Subject: Re: SDL-News: Exported Variables
From: Martin v. Loewis (loewis#informatik.hu-berlin.de)
Date: Tue Dec 16 1997 - 13:15:27 GMT

-----From "Martin v. Loewis" <loewis#informatik.hu-berlin.de> to sdlnews -----

Dear Anders,

> To me, the use of remote variables should not be consistent with
> resolving by context, as remote variables never are solved by context
> (they never occurs in expressions). Rather, it should be consistent with
> other usage of remote variables. Therefore, I think that the main
> text of Z.100 should be changed.

This is also consistent with remote procedures, so I would also
prefer this change.

> writing
>
> dcl exported var integer;
>
> should be a shorthand for
>
> dcl exported var as var integer;

Is this shorthand indeed valid in all cases? For example,

process x;
  dcl exported var integer;
  start;stop;
endprocess x;

is a valid SDL(96) specification, introducing an implicit
remote variable. However, the specification

process x;
  dcl exported var as var integer;
  start;stop;
process x;

would be in error, since there is no remote var.

Regards,
Martin

-----End text from "Martin v. Loewis" <loewis#informatik.hu-berlin.de> to sdlnews -----
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-sdlnews#sdl-forum.org