MSC-News: RE: Cold potatoes

Subject: MSC-News: RE: Cold potatoes
From: Ekkart Rudolph (rudolphe#informatik.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 08:25:42 GMT

-----From Ekkart Rudolph <rudolphe#informatik.tu-muenchen.de> to mscnews -----

Dear Jan and other highly distinguished MSC experts,

Jan wrote:
> Dear Ekkart and other Eminent MSC Experts
>

> > MSC92 Backward Compatibility
> > I do not like the distinction instance oriented / event oriented
> > syntax in MSC-96.
> > For me, MSC-96 contains an event oriented syntax (between different
> > instances
> > can be arbitrarily switched apart from few exceptions like coregion).
> > So, what is instance oriented (apart from this old hat, the <old
> > instance head statement>?
> [Jan Docekal]
> I have the following definition on the concepts.
>
> 1. Old MSC'92 syntax:
>
> <instance oriented statement>
> instance a; <old instance head statement>
> condition c shared b; <old instance event>
> endinstance; <old instance event>
> <instance oriented statement>
> instance b; <old instance head statement>
> condition c shared a; <old instance event>
> endinstance; <old instance event>
>
> 2. MSC'96 instance oriented syntax:
>
> <event definition>
> a : instance; <non-orderable event>
> condition c shared b; <non-orderable event>
> endinstance; <non-orderable event>
> <event definition>
> b : instance; <non-orderable event>
> condition c shared b; <non-orderable event>
> endinstance; <non-orderable event>
>
> 3. MSC'96 event oriented syntax:
>
> <event definition>
> a : instance; <non-orderable event>
> <event definition>
> b : instance; <non-orderable event>
> <event definition>
>
> a, b : condition c; <multi instance event>
> <event definition>
> a : instance; <non-orderable event>
> <event definition>
> b : instance; <non-orderable event>
>

> Hope this clear up things. In the current grammar it is possible
> to mix 1,2 and 3 freely in an MSC. The first part of my proposal suggest
> that in an MSC you should only be able to mix 2,3 freely. Reason for
> this is that it would be a lot simpler to make an analyzer and the risk
> for mistakes would be greatly reduced.

Thank you. That clarifies things and I agree with your proposal.
For me, 'instance oriented' always has the touch of MSC-92
(namely specifying one instance after another) and this is no
more true in MSC-96, also for (2). I think, also other people
may get a wrong impression from that notion. 'Event oriented' may be
misleading as well.

Best regards!
Ekkart
Dr. Ekkart Rudolph phone: +49 89 289 25361
Technische Universitaet Muenchen fax: +49 89 289 28183
Institut fuer Informatik, email: rudolphe#informatik.tu-muenchen.de
c/o Lehrstuhl Prof. Broy
Arcisstrasse 21
D - 80290 Muenchen

-----End text from Ekkart Rudolph <rudolphe#informatik.tu-muenchen.de> to mscnews -----
or (iff this does not answer your question) email: owner-mscnews#sdl-forum.org